In this blog we explore some healthy habits to start in your 20s.
Prioritising your health is important – no matter what age you are. But in your 20s it’s likely you’ve got more time and possibly more energy, not to mention it’s a really good time to lay the foundation for solid health and fitness habits.
Keep reading as we outline:
- Benefits of establishing good exercise habits in your 20s,
- How often you should be doing strength and cardio in this age group, and
- Examples of appropriate exercises to add into your fitness routine.
If you’d like to make an appointment with one of our qualified Brisbane physios to discuss your health, click here to make a booking.
Benefits of Establishing Good Workout Habits in Your 20s
Your 20s is the perfect time to focus on your wellbeing and establish great workout habits.
Here are just a few reasons why:
- Learn proper form early on, so you can get the most out of your workouts. Investing in a professional to help with your form can be incredibly beneficial as well. If you do these things, you’ll be more likely to remember how to position your body when exercising as the years go by – and less likely to hurt yourself if you carry out moves correctly.
- Try new exercises, fitness classes or a sport while you’re agile. When you’re younger you may be more agile and more willing to trying something new. It’s also a good time to mix up your workouts – and hopefully you’ll find a few classes or sports you love so you can keep active without becoming bored.
- Learn how to use food to fuel your body – Understand the nutritional value of the food you’re consuming. Also take note of which meals fill you up and help you perform at your peak, and which foods make you feel sluggish.
- You’ll be more productive – It’s no secret that eating well and exercising can help you to feel more productive, and when you’re juggling work and uni or study you’ll need to be alert often to fit it all in!
- Boost happiness and confidence – You’ll feel better and look better, and hopefully this will give you the confidence to achieve some of your goals.
- Easier to stay in shape – If you discover an exercise class or sport you like and you’ll be more likely to find the time to fit it in. Hopefully it’s a workout you can stick to for many years to come.
Strength Exercises in Your 20s
For people in their 20s, we recommend carrying out muscle and bone strengthening exercise on at least 3 days/week.
Some of the most popular exercises for 20-year-olds include:
- Bodyweight squat
- Weighted squat
- Push ups
- Bench Press
- Side lunge w upright row
Cardio for 20-year-olds
It is important to seek advice from a medical professional before beginning any intense exercise routines. But for healthy people in their 20s, we would recommend carrying out 60 min of moderate/vigorous physical activity per day.
To get the most out of your cardio workouts, you should try to incorporate different intensity levels.
- Low (<50% maximum heart rate (MHR),
- Moderate (50-70% MHR), and
- Vigorous (70-85% MHR).
When it comes to flexibility, you want to address any muscle tightness brought on by strength training you’ve carried out. This is so you can maintain a functional range of motion.
Some flexibility exercises we recommend include:
- Lumbar knee rocks for hips, and
- Thoracic mobility for upper body function
Healthy Habits To Start | Exercise For 20-year-olds
Establishing healthy habits in your 20s can set you up for an active and enjoyable life.
If you’d like help with a tailored exercise program, make an appointment with one of our trusted physios here.
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With four clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill and Nundah our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.