Healthy and strong pelvic floor muscles are critical for the optimal function of the bladder, bowel, pelvis and lower back in women of all ages. At North West Physiotherapy Maree Sweetman is trained in the assessment and treatment of the pelvic floor muscles and an individualised treatment plan is created for each patient.
Electrical stimulation of very weak muscles is sometimes needed. North West Physiotherapy has the Pericalm Stimulator Unit available for hire or purchase to aid in muscle strengthening.
Women’s health physiotherapy concentrates on female pelvic floor muscles for women pre-natal, post-natal & during menopause. Many women experience incontinence at some time in their life but treatment can make a significant difference. Stacy Miller has specialized training in the area of women’s health.
At North West Physio we can help with the following symptoms.
- Pregnancy related lower back, pelvis, hip pain
- Weakened pelvic floor muscles:
- Urinary incontinence
- Stress incontinence
- Urge incontinence
- Overactive bladder and bladder retraining
- Faecal Incontinence
- Supervised exercise for high risk pregnancies
- Diastasis Recti Abdominals
- Pelvic floor exercises after episiotomy or tears
- Postnatal pelvic floor and abdominal assessment and graded return to exercise
- Pelvic floor muscle strengthening exercise class
- Prolapse assessment and pessary fitting
- Chronic pelvic pain including endometriosis, interstitial cystitis, bladder pain syndrome, dyspareunia, vaginismus, vulvodynia, hypertonicity / myalgia, pudendal neuralgia.
Real Time ultrasound imaging of pelvic floor muscles is non-invasive and gives helpful patient ‘feedback’ in muscle assessment and retraining.
Women's Health Specialists
Available Tuesdays and Fridays at Everton Park
Available Monday – Saturday at Eatons Hill