Enhance your fitness, well-being, and energy levels throughout the day by incorporating office workout exercises into your routine!
Do you spend long hours chained to your desk, feeling guilty about neglecting your physical health? You’re not alone.
A recent OECD survey reveals that a higher percentage of Australian employees, 13%, work excessively long hours compared to the average across OECD countries. Consequently, this leaves them with less time for physical and leisure activities.
Although reducing our working hours may not always be feasible, we can still take proactive measures like incorporating office workout exercises to ensure our bodies receive the essential movement they require.
In this article, North West Physio Everton Park shares four must-do desk exercises that can easily be incorporated into your daily routine. But first, we look at the detrimental effects of extended periods of inactivity at your desk and what you can do if you suffer from desk-related pain or discomfort.
Exercise for office workers: what can inactivity do to the body?
Inactivity or a sedentary lifestyle can have several negative effects on your body. Here are some of the key ways in which inactivity can impact your health:
- Muscle weakness and atrophy: When you don’t use your muscles regularly, they can become weak and may start to atrophy or shrink. This can lead to decreased strength and mobility.
- Weight gain: Lack of physical activity can lead to weight gain because you’re not burning as many calories as you consume. This can increase the risk of obesity and related health issues like diabetes and heart disease.
- Cardiovascular problems: Inactivity can lead to poor circulation, which in turn can increase the risk of blood clots, high blood pressure, and heart disease. It can also lead to a buildup of plaque in the arteries, which can restrict blood flow.
- Bone health: Weight-bearing activities like walking and resistance training help to maintain bone density. Inactivity can lead to a loss of bone density, increasing the risk of osteoporosis and fractures.
- Joint stiffness and pain: Lack of movement can cause joints to become stiff and painful. It can also worsen conditions like osteoarthritis.
Office desk workouts
If you spend long days at your office desk, North West Physio Everton Park suggests the following four desk exercises daily. This will help you physically and enhance your energy and work activity levels.
1. Plank holds on chair – hold for 60secs
Form cues: Hold onto a chair, desk or strong object lower than hip height. Walk your feet out to a lengthened body position as if you were to do a push up or plank.
2. Toe taps – 10 reps each side
Form cues: Sit in your chair and while trying to keep as still as possible, slowly raise your left foot. Lower and repeat.
3. Bicycle crunches – 10 reps each side
Form cues: Using your core, twist to bring your left elbow to your right knee. Return to your starting position and repeat.
4. Jack knives – 10 reps each side
Form cues: Sit on the edge of your chair, leaning back whilst straightening your legs out in front of you. Then return them back towards you and crunching with your torso simultaneously. If you haven’t tried this exercise before, do one leg at a time, then progress to two legs at the same time once you feel confident.
Desk exercises: what to do if you have pain associated with a sedentary work lifestyle
If you are suffering from work-related pain caused by inactivity, it is advised to visit your GP.
Office workout exercises: 4 must-do desk exercises suggested by North West Physio Everton Park
Elevate your fitness levels, enhance your well-being, and boost your energy throughout the day with our office workout exercises. You can actively promote movement for a healthier body by including these exercises in your routine.
Say goodbye to the sedentary lifestyle and hello to a healthier, more active you!