Has someone suggested that you invest in orthotics to help with your foot issues? If they have, you might be wondering if you actually need them.
Well, put simply, you’ll need a meticulous examination from a qualified podiatrist, to determine if you will benefit from orthotics.
The Brisbane health professionals at North West Physio have teamed up with The Pedalar Podiatry to answer all your questions about orthotics. Not only do we provide tailored podiatry advice, we also have a custom orthotics lab so if you do need additional foot support, you can be assured you are getting the right solution.
But before we answer to the question “Do I need orthotics?” we’ll firstly explain what orthotics are used for.
What Are Orthotics Used For?
Foot orthoses ultimately work by altering the kinematics of the foot and lower limb.
Kinematics is the motion of objects without reference to the forces which cause the motion.
Orthotics provide an interface between the user and the ground or shoe surface, and affect the biomechanics of the lower limbs.
Depending on the needs of the individual, custom orthoses can be prescribed to reduce load on particular tissues by reducing the forces that cause stress and strain on these tissues. By reducing these forces, we can improve symptoms and strength and help reduce recurrence.
Benefits Of Orthotics
Orthoses can be prescribed to:
- Improve mechanics which can assist in the treatment of muscle, tendon, joint and certain nerve conditions,
- Improve pain in the feet, ankles, knees and hips,
- Improve performance, and
- Prevention of overuse type injuries.
Do I Need Orthotics?
It can be hard to definitively determine whether you may need orthoses just by looking at things such as foot posture or shoe wear alone.
Instead, you will need a podiatrist to carry out a complete and thorough assessment which is tailored to your needs.
Orthotics Fitting Procedure
The process for getting fitted for custom orthoses is very simple.
- You’ll have an initial assessment with a qualified podiatrist to determine if orthoses will be beneficial.
- If your podiatrist believes orthoses will help you, they’ll take an impression of your foot at this same appointment. This impression will be used to produce a device which will fit your foot perfectly.
- Your podiatrist will manufacture your personalised devices before your second appointment.
- You will receive the orthoses at your second appointment – so don’t forget to bring suitable footwear! That way your podiatrist can ensure that your new devices fit your footwear (or multiple pairs of shoes) comfortably!
EXPERT TIP: Not all orthoses are made equal! Even for the same person, depending on the presenting issue, the prescribed devices can differ. Some orthoses can be made to be more comfortable than others and some may be more effective than others depending on the production methods. Different styles of devices can also be made for different styles of footwear.
Do I Need Orthotics?
Interested to find out more about orthotics? Read our blog here where we share 5 common misconceptions people have about the devices.
To make an appointment to discuss orthoses with a health professional, please get in touch with the North West Physio team here.
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With four clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill and Nundah our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.