Are you eating well and exercising, but struggling to shed stubborn kilograms or tone up the way you want? If this sounds all too familiar, you might benefit from metabolic testing to determine your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) at one of our Brisbane clinics.
It’s just one of the services our Accredited Practising Dietitian at our Everton Park clinic can help you with.
Below we explain what Resting Metabolic Rate is, the benefits of metabolic testing and how the assessment works.
What Is Resting Metabolic Rate
Simply put, a person’s Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is an estimated number of calories they would burn throughout the day while their body is at rest (e.g. Carrying out essential functions like breathing and thinking, but not moving around or exercising).
Resting Metabolic Rate is also commonly called Basal Metabolic Rate (BSR).
Why would I want to know my RMR?
Knowing your RMR is a key component in a successful weight loss program.
Why? Well, a plan that decreases your total body fat but also reduces your metabolic rate is not going to be effective as one which eliminates the same amount of body fat but maintains a high RMR.
If your RMR is high, it will help you to keep the body fat off in the longer term.
Knowing and understanding your RMR and daily energy expenditure can also allow you to make food and exercises choices that are suitable for you at this time.
Benefits of RMR Test
- Learn how your metabolism is working: You will find out if your metabolism is operating at an optimal level or if it is suppressed.
- Develop a personalised plan to suit your body: If a down regulated metabolism is found and weight loss is the goal, it is generally recommended that the client works on boosting their metabolism prior to trying to lose weight. Not only is this a much less stressful alternative for the body, but it will make the fat loss phase easier too.
Our Process for a Resting Metabolic Rate Test
- The client will sit in a comfortable, rested position and place a nose clip on so they cannot breathe through their nose.
- Breathing is performed through a mouthpiece which is inserted into the MEDGEM machine.
- After ~10 minutes the client’s RMR is determined.
How a Dietitian uses the Results
The dietitian will compare the client’s estimated RMR with their actual RMR.
If the actual RMR is more than ~10% below what their estimated RMR is, a significant suppression is evident, and a plan can then be implemented to try and increase this number.
Preparing For a RMR Test? What You Need To Know
- The test is to be done in a fasted state, so first thing in the morning before any food or drinks (including water), and before any exercise is performed, as all of these can influence the results slightly.
- If you have private health insurance, you are able to claim a rebate on the spot and just pay the gap.
Metabolic Testing Brisbane
Do you have any questions about our metabolic testing procedure, or would like to schedule a time to have an assessment done?
Make a booking here, or call our Everton Park clinic on (07) 3353 4111.
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With six clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill, Nundah, Lutchwyche and Newmarket, our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.
Contact your local clinic to book an appointment.