Do you want to know what causes muscle cramps?
Keep reading as the North West Physio team explores the question in our latest blog.
We also explain:
- What muscle cramps are, and
- Ways they can be treated.
If you’re experiencing any ongoing pain or issues, or have further questions, you can make an appointment with one of our trusted physiotherapists in Brisbane here.
What are Muscle Cramps?
Simply put, a muscle cramp is a sudden involuntary contraction of one or more muscles that can cause pain.
What Causes Muscle Cramps?
Muscle cramps tend to be more common when exercising in the hotter months.
That’s because we’re naturally sweating more without exercise, but when we add in physical activity as well, we’re more likely to have an imbalance in the amount of water in our bodies.
This water imbalance directly affects the electrolyte concentration in our muscle cells, which makes them irritable and easily triggered.
If this occurs frequently enough over multiple muscle cells, a muscle cramp can occur.
Muscle Cramps Treatment
Think you’re experiencing muscle cramps? Here are our top tips for treating them!
- Increase the amount of water you’re drinking. The amount needed is different for each person, but you can learn more about increasing water intake in our blog here.
- You can try stretching the cramping muscle/s.
- Apply heatpack or coldpack to affected areas.
- Increase Magnesium intake.
- Electrolyte drinks like Powerade or Gatorade may also help if you’ve lost a lot of sweat or also just finished exercising for more than 30 minutes.
If you’re still not getting any relief from your cramps after trying some of the above, then make an appointment with a professional from North West Physiotherapy. We have multiple clinics across North Brisbane for your convenience.
Book online here.
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With four clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill and Nundah our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.