The experienced team at North West Physio have put together 5 of the best stretches to do while working from home.
Just because you’re confined to your desk for a number of hours each day, doesn’t mean you have to lose mobility or experience pain because of it.
Stretching on a regular basis can prevent stiffness and help to strengthen any weak muscles which are causing pain or discomfort.
Keep reading for the most beneficial at-home stretches. Otherwise, if you need some hands-on help to alleviate your #WFH aches and pains make an appointment to see one of our experienced team members at one of our many North West Physio locations today.
5 Stretches You Can Do From Your Desk at Home
Even if you feel your working from home desk and chair setup is correct and your posture great, being seated at your desk for long periods of time can lead to stiffness and pain.
Here are 5 of our top stretches you can do while seated at home.
- Ear to the Shoulder (Tilt head to side)
- Tilt your neck slowly to move your ear towards your shoulder.
- Pause in place for 3 seconds.
- Move your head back into neutral (upright) position.
*Repeat this action 3 times.
NB: Do not move your head too quickly or too far and if you are experiencing any pain at all please stop immediately.
- AROM Cervical Rotation
- Sit upright in a chair and look straight ahead.
- Move only your head (not your body) to look over one shoulder as far as you can.
- Return your head back to the centre.
- Relax and repeat on the other side when ready.
- Chin Tuck
- Begin in a seated position. Look straight ahead and keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Tuck your chin back and in. The movement is akin to creating a double chin.
- Hold in this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Levator Scapulae Stretch
- Begin in a seated position.
- Place the hand of the side you want to stretch behind your back.
- Take the opposite hand and pull your head forwards and to the opposite side at an angle until you feel a stretch from the base of your skull down into your shoulder blade.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat the stretch on the other side.
- Scapula Retraction Sitting Unsupported
- Sit up straight as possible, without leaning into the back of the chair.
- Put both hands in your lap.
- Use a small circular movement to bring your shoulder blades back and down.
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat.
NB: It’s important to keep your back still during this exercise.
Tips for avoiding pain when working at home
For a range of other tips to minimise pain and discomfort while working from home, take a look at our blog ‘5 ways to avoid pain when working at home’ here.
If your day-to-day life is being impacted then it’s definitely time for some hands-on help by one of the therapists at North West Physio.
North West Physiotherapy Appointments
We are conveniently located in five North Brisbane suburbs: Nundah, Everton Park, Eatons Hill, Keperra and Milton.
During your appointment our physiotherapists:
- Assess your range of movement and body alignment
- Determine the origin of your pain or condition
- Give you specific stretches to help with your condition or injury
Your therapist may also be able to set up a home-based exercise program, which you can view from the comfort of your lounge room via the Physitrack app.
Best stretches to do while working from home
Stretching can provide temporary relief and improve flexibility and mobility.
With many of Australia’s workforce forced to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s never been a more crucial time to take care of yourself.
For the best stretches and exercises for your needs, its best to visit the experienced team at North West Physio, so make an appointment today!
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With four clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill and Nundah our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.