It’s the time of year again where the beginning of term one is rapidly approaching, and kids are getting ready to go back to school. In this blog we look at podiatrist’s tips for choosing the right school shoes.
North West Physiotherapy has a partnership with The Pedaler Podiatry which means that at most of our clinics you can benefit from physiotherapy and podiatry services under the same roof.
For further advice, contact the friendly team at North West Physiotherapy here.
Advice for Parents Choosing School Shoes
School shoes are going to support your child in the playground, in the classroom, at lunch time and as they’re taking steps (or leaps) towards many milestones throughout the year, so it’s important to pick the right ones that will last.
Below are five things you should consider before buying school shoes this year;
- Proper fit– Having the shoes properly fitted before buying them is paramount. That way you can make sure feet have enough room to grow over the coming months, and the shoe supports the child well. It’s important to check both the width and length of left and right shoes when the child is standing, to be certain both feet are stretched out properly when they’re weight bearing.
- Type of shoe– As general advice, lace up shoes will often provide more support than Velcro options or slip-ons. We would also encourage the child to do up the laces (or velcro) properly to hold the foot in place securely, rather than just pulling the shoes on.
- Material of shoe– As children are no doubt going to be running through rain or muddy puddles in their new shoes, it’s important to pick a pair which are made from breathable and water-resistant material. The soles of the shoes should be durable and able to absorb shock well, for all of the running and jumping they will do.
- Shoe flexibility– As with any pair of shoes – the sole shouldn’t be too rigid. Children are going to be active before, during and after school, so the shoes need flexibility so the child can move well.
- Cost– Cost can play a large part in the quality of shoes which a parent or carer may buy for the child, especially as shoes are often outgrown quickly. However, it’s important to remember cost is not always indicative in the quality of a shoe.
Importance of Having the Perfect Shoe
School-aged children can have a range of foot and lower leg issues which may need management if the wrong shoes are worn. Some common issues include:
- Shin splints
- Sever’sdisease (calcaneal apophysitis)
- Flat feet
- Ankle sprains
- Ingrown toenails
But if a condition is identified before school shoes are purchased, they can be fitted accordingly to aid with treatment or management.
Podiatrist’s Tips for Choosing the Right School Shoes
If you think your child might need to see a podiatrist before you grab the next pair of school shoes, give the team at North West Physio a call today.
- Everton Park – Book online here or call 07 3353 4111
- Keperra – Book online here or call 07 3198 4444
- Eatons Hill – Book online here or call 07 3333 1646
- Nundah – Book online here or call 07 3102 1322
North West Physiotherapy is your one-stop pain relief and healthy living practice in Brisbane. With six clinics across North Brisbane; Everton Park, Keperra, Eatons Hill, Nundah, Lutchwyche and Newmarket, our aim is to provide holistic healthcare solution to suit your specific lifestyle.
Our services include Physiotherapy, Sports Physio, Hydrotherapy, Pilates, Podiatry, Dry Needling, Massage, Womens Health, and Seniors Strength and Balance Classes. Please note that services vary across our clinics.
Contact your local clinic to book an appointment.